The Association of Magazine Media released the 2015 Magazine Media Factbook last month. The document covered various aspects of the magazine media. The report also detailed its growth, challenges and future prospects across geographies and categories.
At Pixel Mavericks, we went through the treasure trove of information presented and processed them with our own lens of the market. We factored in the fact that the report focused on the US geography. We looked at all the figures and trends, growth, print and digital media, distribution platforms, custom interactive apps and the state of the medium as a whole to derive insights and form hypotheses. As a result of this activity, we arrived at our own vision of the future of digital magazines – as presented below.
- Digital magazine audiences will be young, educated and wealthy.
- Digital magazines will be predominantly consumed on mobile devices.
- Video will be a strong driver and communication tool.
- The gap between digital and print magazines will close, but each will build its own niche strongholds.
Additionally, we also wanted to share some of the “Twenty Two Tweetable Truths” that appear as a part of the Factbook’s release:
- Purchase influencers value and welcome magazine media ads more than ads on TV.
- Consumers trust and are more inspired and influenced by magazine media than TV.
- The percentage of U.S. adults who read digital edition magazines has more than quadrupled over the past 3 years.
- The number of magazine media mobile web visitors grew over 65% in Q1 2015 vs. 2014.
- Web, mobile web, and video represent 40% of magazine media’s total gross audience, compared to 34% a year ago.
- Magazine media video viewership grew 14% in Q1 2015 vs. 2014.
- 14 of the top 15 highest grossing Lifestyle iPad apps are magazine brands.
- 4 of the top 5 highest grossing Health & Fitness iPad apps are magazine brands.
- of the top 10 highest grossing Food & Drink iPad apps are magazine brands.
- 45 of the top 50 highest grossing Lifestyle iPad apps are magazine brands.
Read the full report here. Do you agree with our hypotheses? What are your opinions? Let us know in the comments.
This article was written on 3 Jun , 2015.
digital magazine, featured, future, magazine, predictions, trends